What You Want to Know About a Fine Arts Degree
No matter whether you happen to be interested in photography, painting, sculpture, film, the digital media, or you aspire for a occupation in design or a coveted museum spot, a fine arts degree can assist you attain your goals. Here’s what you require to know to pursue a fine art degree and what you can expect from your instruction.
Fine Arts Degree Coursework
The courses supplied at a fine art college are as varied as the students who determine to pursue a degree in fine arts. The curricula in most fine artwork schools normally function programs in: • Artwork history
• Art theory and criticism
• Doing arts
• Painting, drawing sculpture, and photography
• Digital art
Varieties of Fine Arts Degrees
If you are interested in pursuing a fine artwork degree, you have the choice of taking undergraduate as nicely as graduate paths. They contain:
• Associate’s of Fine Arts (AFA) . Like most associate’s degree programs, an associate’s degree in fine arts from an on-line college, a neighborhood school, or technical college lays the academic foundation for a bachelor’s degree.
• Bachelor’s of Fine Arts (BFA) . A bachelor’s degree in fine arts generally requires 4 years to accomplish, and gives students the skilled and inventive expertise to prepare them for arts-associated jobs. Most skilled artwork positions demand a BFA at a minimal.
• Master’s of Fine Arts (MFA) . A master’s degree in fine arts even more enhances a student’s comprehending of the arts globe–particularly management–as properly as the advanced growth of their inventive specialty. Dependent on your thesis, you can earn your MFA inside two years, even so, many students take longer. Generally, teaching and museum positions demand an MFA.
What Are the Profession Options in the Fine Arts?
Numerous students thinking about a fine arts degree wonder what kinds of jobs are obtainable after they graduate. The very good information is there are a wide selection of possibilities–functioning as an art buyer, a creative director at an marketing agency, a museum curator, an artistic director in the theatre, or an independent multi-media artist.
In accordance to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the industries with the highest ranges of employment for fine artists include:
• Independent artists, writers and performers
• The entertainment industry
• Specialized design companies
• Schools, universities and expert colleges
• The publishing industry
The BLS notes that despite high competitors for jobs in the fine arts, studios, galleries and personal clients are often seeking for talented and stylized artists.
How A lot Funds Can I Make with a Fine Arts Degree?
Just as there are many various types of artists operating in the fine arts, there are as several salary categories. The BLS reviews the following median yearly wages for some fine arts careers in 2009:
• Art directors: $ 78,580
• Craft artists: $ 28,960
• Multimedia artists and animators: $ 58,250
• Fine artists: $ 44,160
Additionally, the BLS notes that earnings for self-employed artists vary widely. Starting artists could earn a nominal sum even though doing work to create their names in the artwork globe, even though far more seasoned freelance fine artists and illustrators have the likely to earn much more than their salaried counterparts.
For creative pros, a fine arts degree from a fine artwork school can open the doors to a planet of chance.
Kelli Smith writes about schools and universities, community schools, on the web colleges, and occupation growth. She is the senior editor at www.CollegesandUniversities.org.